Monday 14 April 2014

End of Week 1 - Learning Challenge Reflections

First off, I must stress that I have not done the requisite amount of study this week due to time restrictions and assessment. This, already, is a bit of a setback, but I am prepared to use this next week as efficiently as possible to make as much use of the available time in this challenge as possible. Although I am generally not a very motivated person in terms of study, this challenge is important for two separate areas of study and I can certainly put time aside for it.

Now, on to the actual reflections. In terms of the software itself, I find there to be pros and cons with the ones I am using. The ability to customise kanji lists is sadly missing from Kanji Flip, making my learning a little less targeted. However, since many kanji have the same root and look very similar, I believe that this will in the long run help me with recognising kanji as a whole. The websites I am using have a nice range of different activities which I can switch between if I get bored. Finally, iKanji Touch. Though it was a pain to set up my kanji list to begin with, the ability to practice stroke order with this application is unique to all of the technology I am using. I generally find stroke order to be the most important factor in learning to write kanji, which makes this a very good application for me to be using.

So, how have I improved? Due to factors stated above, not that much. I feel that this week, my efforts have mainly been in consolidating that which I already know, and given that I am still very much on target with regards to my plan, I also feel that this is a worthwhile investment. So here, with regards to last week, are my test totals:

From a pool of 124 kanji; the same as last week, I was able to recognise 97 (only marginally better than last week's 93), and write 62 (also a negligible increase). And while to me these totals are embarrassing, I must remind myself that learning is not an instant process, which to me, is the most difficult aspect in learning. In which case, the time that I have already spent working on this challenge represents, for me, a win.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    I think you have some firm goals in mind and some good reasons to achieve them. However, it would be good if you could use your technology tools to concentrate on the kanji you really need to learn. If a limitation of the technology is that you cannot customise it to the kanji you need to learn then I would consider ditching it for others or even reduce the number you are using.
    I also sense that your motivation is wavering a bit. Perhaps you can come up with some motivational strategies that include some intrinsic and extrinsic rewards?
    Keep going!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete