Monday 19 May 2014

Learning Challenge Update

Though it's admittedly a week late, here are my learning challenge reflections for the week of 12/05.2014:

So, this week my progress slowed off a bit due to assessment. While I have been working on the issue stated about last week, I still mix up certain kanji from time to time. The only thing I can do, however, is to practice these kanji until I no longer need to do so; and until I find a better way, that is what I will be doing.

In terms of technology, I have found myself reverting to some of my old ways of studying; I will use the app to keep my kanji list, and while I am learning them I will write them many times over in my notebook. This physical act of actually writing the kanji not only serves to cement their form within my memory, but also teaches me the stroke order. Time and again I have found this to be an effective way to study, far from simply looking and attempting to remember.

It is worth noting here that writing kanji is useful only for the purposes of handwritten communication only, as computers can do the writing for you if you enter the word in a phonetic manner. While this does not diminish the importance of learning them, it is worthwhile remembering that there will be fewer opportunities to write them than to see them, which brings me straight to my next point.

Another learning initiative which I am putting into place is to do with the kanji I see in class. If I see one I know I cannot write, I will write it out with my finger, and remember its meaning. In that way my study is extended, to not only my personal study sessions, but to class time as well.

Finally, the raw data. In terms of learning, I have learnt 122 kanji, which means that in practical terms, I have learnt to read all of the kanji in my 124 kanji list, with a small margin for error. My writing has crawled its way up to 90 kanji, and though I  am still not entirely pleased with this progress, I cannot deny that I am close to reaching my goal, setting myself up for many more years of Japanese study.

No comments:

Post a Comment